Most people don’t really consider interior design to be all that important, and compared to other things that is probably true. However interior design is a valuable service that you should not discount the value of. The main reason that interior design is important is that it makes your home look nicer. The simple fact is that having a house that looks nicer is going to make you like it better and that makes design important.
Whether you’re redecorating one room or hiring a professional designer to revamp your entire living space, it helps you to understand the basics of interior design and what they encompass. A design is an orderly arrangement of five basic elements:
- Colour: The creator of illusion and maker of mood.
- Form: The overall shape of any object.
- Line: The implied direction or boundary of an object.
- Mass: The bulk of an object that occupies space.
- Texture: The touch me, feel me of matter.
All artists, whether painters, sculptors, architects, or interior decorators work with these same basic elements to achieve certain effects, all of which must work together to form a unified whole.
But these five elements alone aren’t enough to generate a successful design. Five components of composition round out the list of designer’s terms:
- Focal point: This is the point of visual reference to which the eye always returns, a “home base.”
- Scale and proportion: Scale refers to overall size, while proportion relates the size of parts compared to the whole. Keep these two factors in mind when selecting furniture.
- Harmony and unity: Harmony refers to the blending of similar elements, while unity refers to the overall sense of belonging together. This is a goal, so keep it in mind as you add each new piece of furniture or accessory.
- Contrast: Contrast places opposites side by side, such as black and white or hard and soft. The challenge is to balance contrast, so as to maintain a sense of overall unity. Add contrast in small doses. Be careful not to overdo it and thus upset a sense of harmony of parts and overall unity.
- Variety: Variety is the spice of life and the spice of interiors. Include variety within a single room as well as within a whole-house design.
Without sufficient and distinct contrast which can be subtle, a room can look deadly dull. If a room has too much contrast or too much variety, it looks confused. Your job as the decorator is to come up with a recipe that has just enough but never too much of the elements that make for a beautiful, functional room.
Interior design really plays a big role in the everyday life. It introduces people to beauty, relaxation, and modernism. Interior design is an important technique that is given a high attention all over the world nowadays. People’s interest in having a nice and attractive design for private and public buildings is increasing. This shows the importance of interior design nowadays. I would love to constantly change my home design as it is a way for me to be creative with my home and so as not to feel the design as dull and repetitious.